Below are few steps you could follow to make sure your holdings are safe with your broker.
- Monitor holdings at regular intervals.
- Ensure that your contact details (mobile & email ID) are updated with the depository.
- Check SMS sent by depository after every transaction in demat account.
- Once a month Depositories i.e. CDSL and NSDL send a Consolidated Account Statement (CAS) on your registered email id. Please make sure to check the same.
- Never keep signed delivery instruction slip (DIS) with the broker.
- You may also login to CDSL/NSDL directly to check if the stocks in your broker’s backoffice and your demat account are matching or not. Please find below information about how to login to your CDSL online portal (called Easi) to check whether shares are available in your demat account.
- Click here to login CDSL online portal.
- Click on Register Easi to register yourself in Easi (Electronic Access to Securities Information).
The holdings shown in this portal are the ones that are in your demat account and not the broker’s pool account. In case shares move out of this account the depository (CDSL in this case) will send you an SMS.