To get higher exposure you can deposit the cash or use stocks in your demat account as collateral. When a client pledges the share to get extra intraday exposure or overnight position, the shares used to be transferred to the broker’s margin account (from client’s demat account to broker’s demat account for margin purpose). Broker in turn would transfer these stocks to Clearing Member and then to the Clearing Corporation. For the security of client securities SEBI has introduced the new system.
What has changed?
In the new system, client’s holdings will not get physically transferred to the broker’s margin account. Instead, just a pledge (lien) is marked in favor of the broker and the stocks will continue to reside in the client’s account. The broker further pledges the stocks in favor of Clearing Member and then the Clear Corporation (CC) through a process called margin re-pledge and gets the margins from CC.
As per this process you will be required to approve your pledge request by entering an OTP sent to your registered email/SMS from CDSL to authenticate the pledge transaction. Please make sure that your mobile number and email address are updated with us to avoid any last minute inconveniences
In case you have already pledged your shares with us for margin, you will need to move to the new system before 14th August 2020. Failing which you shall not be given the pledge benefit after 14th August 2020.
Any new pledge requests after 1st August 2020 will have to be through the new system of pledging only. However, the challenge for us is that we have not received the new system yet. Though we are trying our best, due to the unavailability of the test environment and tight deadlines, we have not been able to test it in our various applications. So there may be delays from our side to process new pledge requests received after 31st July 2020. We request you to please bear with us.
Process to place pledge request in the new system
- Login to BOX
- At the left side, click on Margin Against Shares > Pledge > Pledge Shares
- In Pledge More section, enter the quantity to be pledge
- Click on Pledge Button at the right bottom corner.
After we receive your request, we shall upload your request to the CDSL. Once we upload the request, below are the important steps to be carried out by you.
- You shall receive an email/SMS from CDSL containing an URL
- Click on the link and enter your PAN and other required details
- Select the stocks you wish to give for pledging and generate OTP
- An OTP will be sent to the registered email/mobile
- Enter OTP and submit. Now you’re done with the process
Once the process is completed, you shall get the collateral benefit on the next trading day.
The shares pledged in the old system can be unpledged just by selling the stocks in the open market which shall be allowed till 14th August 2020. Alternatively, you may also visit BOX back office to unpledge the shares before 14th August 2020.
To unpledge the shares in the new system, you would be required to place the request from BOX back office. Kindly note that initially shares may not be unpledged by selling the stocks in the open market as the case was with the old pledge system. Currently this feature is not allowed by us as it needs to be tested. However, we are working on adding this feature soon.
POA (Power of Attorney) is Mandatory for Pledge
Pledge request from BOX, will be accepted only if you have submitted a POA physical copy.
Also please note:
- We will be closing the existing pledge system from 31st July 2020. You are required to place the pledge request with the new system there after
- You shall not be allowed to sell the pledged shares. We are working on this provide this feature as soon as possible
- In case of any fund transfer made on any trading day then the benefit of cash to collateral shall be given from next trading day
- The pledge charge of Rs.60 will continue to remain same till further notice
- Please update your email and mobile number to be able to get the OTP from CDSL